Getting a roof replaced is a big investment. There are many roofing materials needed to successfully build a roof, but do you know what they all are? You want to know exactly what you are paying for, so here is a list of the basic roofing materials shingle roofs need.
- Roof Decking. Decking is the boards that your shingles and other materials are installed on. It is the plywood at the base of your roof. If you are getting a roof replacement, the decking may not need to be replaced; it depends on what kind of condition it’s in.
- Underlayment. This is the waterproof barrier installed on top of the roof decking. This is a crucial part of your roof, as it adds additional protection from water damage.
- Flashing. Roof flashing is installed where shingles are installed against something, like a chimney, dormer, or wall. Those areas are more prone to leaks and water damage, so metal flashing provides more protection for those areas. A roof’s flashing doesn’t always need to get replaced. If there is no rust and the metal is still strong, then it is still good for continued use.
- Drip Edge and Ice and Water Shield. The drip edge is metal flashing that is put at the edges of your roof to help control the flow of water coming off your roof. An ice and water shield is a layer of waterproof material installed to prevent water from backing up under the shingles of your roof.
- Shingles. Lastly, your shingles will be a big part of the cost of your roof. Make sure to find the right shingles that will work for you and your roof.
As you can see, there are a few roofing materials that go into a roof replacement other than the shingles. If your roof is in need of replacement, give us a call at Quality Home Solutions today.